Published: Friday, November 16, 2012
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012 18:11
Wanting to spice up your Thanksgiving meal with an appetizer? While the turkey,stuffing, and other dishes cook, this black bean salad is low in calories and will satisfy the family until it is time for the main course.
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, chopped
1 small avocado, diced
Juice of 1 lime
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon cilantro
Salt and pepper (optional)
1. Combine beans, corn, tomato, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mix with lime juice and olive oil.
2. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Add avocado before serving and enjoy!
Now with an appetizer out of the way, how about changing up dessert? Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie are the ideal options but I have Apple Dumplings instead. The Apple Dumplings are quick to whip up and once they are out of the oven, don’t be surprised if they are gone.
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
2 cans crescent roll dough
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can Mountain Dew
Ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking dish
2. Cut each apple into 8 wedges. Separate crescent roll dough into triangles. Roll each apple wedge in dough starting at smallest end. Pinch to seal and place in baking dish.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in sugar and cinnamon. Pour over Apple Dumplings. Pour Mountain Dew over the dumplings.
4. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool and add ice cream if desired and